Home of The French Marketplace

La joie c'est le partage
{ the joy is in the sharing }

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Feelin' Crafty

Because of all the snow, my little ones missed a week of school and therefore also missed their Valentine's Day classroom parties. They rescheduled the parties for this Friday instead. One of my guys made a Valentine bag for collecting valentines in school as part of a class project, while the other one was just told to bring a bag from home. Of course, I haven't been able to get out much with all of them home from school and with almost 40 inches of snow on the ground. The only bags I could seem to come up with were brown paper restaurant take-out bags and they just wouldn't do. I thought "what am I going to do?" He can't take an Outback Steakhouse bag to school for his Valentines! He wanted something more Valentine-y. I thought I could make something out of fabric instead. Then I went to my fabric stash and had nothing really Valentine related or even red - what's a mom to do???
Then I found the leftover burlap from the lampshade in my previous post and... ahhhh...some red striped jute webbing. Red! Perfect! Not too feminine and if it worked out, I just might have a cute little bag when it's all said and done. It was so quick and easy and I was able to use what I already had lying around in my craft room so I thought I would share it with you all!

All you need for this project is burlap, jute webbing (or any other trim you prefer) and ribbon of your choice. I know the polka dot ribbon might be a little less than masculine (hubby pointed that out to me - haha) but hey, it's the kind of ribbon I had on hand. If I had solid red I would have used it. I tried to make a handle out of the webbing as well, but it was just too thick and I broke my sewing machine needle. A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do right? I think he's probably going to be more interested in the candy that will inevitably be a part of the valentines than he will the polka dot handles anyway!

So the way I see it, after he brings all of his treasured valentine's home from school and enjoys the candy in them, I'll have a fun new bag to carry right? I say it's a win, win situation!

So here's to last minute crafting. Sometimes those projects created out of necessity turn out to be the best ones!


Enjoy creating your bags~

xo,

Kathleen

12 comments:

Donna said...

Love the bag! Sooo Cool! Perfectly my style. I also love the chairs you found...and at such a great price! I was scrolling through your blog and checking out all of the cool crafty things that you make. You need to get on the waiting list to rent yourself a space at Chartreuse and Co! Your creations would fit right in and sell well!

Tami said...

Adorable...I love it!!

EMBELLISH said...

To cute. The polka dot handles are awesome.

Cheryl said...

that bag is lovely. beats an outback steak house bag any day. : )
Seriously though i love the jute webbing and the burlap together.

savvycityfarmer said...

now I'm liking this ... ya think??

how's the bun in the oven?

Anonymous said...

This is so lovely!

Patti's Artful Design said...

I love the bag......love burlap and jute.....a winning combination!

Sylvia said...

Kathleen....that bag turned out real cute!!!

Sylvia

Seawashed said...

Wow I have not been by in so long...you are ready to have the baby! I will look forward to meeting her. Her bedroom is beautiful in all its french loveliness.

We did not make it to the hospital for baby number three. She was born on the side of the road only blocks away from the hospital, hubby delivered her, had to unwrap the embilical cord that was wrapped twice around her neck, on Christmas Day! We named her Grace. And she was perfectly healthy. Hope you made it to the hospital though!!!

Gypsy Purple said...

Fabulous...I just LOVE it!!!!

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison said...

Very cute!

Joy said...

That was a great and creative idea! I like using what is on hand, makes one use their noggin a bit more... came here via Parisean (sp.) Farmgirl blog.