Home of The French Marketplace

La joie c'est le partage
{ the joy is in the sharing }

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

A Little Black Dress Affair

Oh my...where has the time gone?
It's been a whole year and our little one just had a birthday! You know what that means don't you? Yes, a party. Her very first "little black dress" affair as a matter of fact.
It all started with this cute little dress that I found. I built the whole theme around this dress. Right down to the invitations {pictured at the very top of this post}
There are sooooo many photos to go along with this, I'm going to break it up into a couple of posts. I don't want to force them all on you at once.
so...
we'll start with the theme.
The dress.
It is black velvet on top and the skirt is black and white tulle. A pretty little satin bow at the waist finishes the look.
Adorable. Elegant. Timeless. Little Girl. Fun.
That's what I wanted.
I decided to go with black and white damask with lots of pink and touches of grey too.
First...the cake.
I made it all by myself. My very first attempt at a fancy cake.
When I found the damask pattern cake tattoos, I did a happy dance right in the middle of the store. Seriously.

I made a banner out of some black and pink damask fabric that I already had on hand.




I sewed a table runner out of some black and white damask fabric that I found at Walmart. {More photos of the runner in the next post}
I picked up some pink flatware and some black napkins at Target and then tied them up with a pretty pink satin ribbon. I normally prefer to use actual china and flatware but in this case, this just worked better with the colors.


I put the cake on a black pedestal that I had, and I also made cupcakes to go with it.

I found these black and white damask cupcake liners at the grocery store.


and I even found wrapping paper to match everything!
Trust me, I made sure that everything didn't look too "matchy matchy"
It was just enough of a good thing without being too much {In my opinion anyway}.
Okay...enough pictures for today. I'll be back tomorrow with more of the decorations and the birthday girl herself.
Thanks for reading along with me.
xo and God Bless,
Kathleen

7 comments:

claudia b said...

how beautiful! I love the black and white damask with pink touches, happy birthday to your little girl!

Tamra said...

Cake tattoos?! Never seen them but I love them!

Really beautiful!

Seawashed said...

It is all so pretty!!!! Isn't it fun to have a girl? It is so funny because your post is about your daughter's very first black dress affair and my post is about my daugther's black prom dress for senior ball. Oh, how the years go by way too fast. Enjoy every stinkin' minute! ox

Blondie's Journal said...

You really did a fantastic job!! Love the damask patterns everywhere and the cake is just gorgeous! Happy Birthday to your little princess!

XO,
Jane

Melissa Miller said...

Simply gorgeous Kathleen!

Everything from the beautiful dress to the damask and the cake. Wow! I'm so thrilled to see the details. Great job! Happy Birthday to your little one year old. It did fly by!

Warmly, ~Melissa :)

Anonymous said...

Love you taking the time to share, this wonderful post, perfect timming for me, my daughter turns 1 on on April 6th, so, I am planning her party, I love your daughters dress, I wish you could send it me to borrow for my daughters party here in Houston, Texas, it is too cute!! I love tulle on any dress!!!Keep the pictures comming!! every detail is perfect!!

Mom in High Heels said...

O. M. G. That is amazingly perfect!!!!!! You did a fantastic job. It's all so sweet and girly.
We were so hoping Han Solo (due in 8 weeks!) would be a girl, but alas, it was not to be. No little black dress affairs in my house. I'll have to live vicariously through you. I can't wait to see more pictures!